In 1945, Günter Fronius (1907-2015) and his wife Friedl set up Fronius International GmbH in Pettenbach. Günter Fronius occupied himself with the development of battery charging systems in an electrical business. A little later, he employed 15 people. In the mid-1960s, the company started to manufacture electronics and welding torches. In 1972, Fronius opened a second site in Thalheim, near Wels, and moved production there. Günter Fronius handed over the management of the business to his two children in 1980, and from then on the company focused more and more on expansion and internationalisation. Sites were opened in Austria and beyond in the years that followed. At the same time, Fronius expanded into the fields of welding technology and battery charging technology. Photovoltaics became a new focus in 1992. In 2001, Fronius opened a factory in Pettenbach, the town in which the company started. The logistics and production site at Sattledt was opened in 2007. With the capture of the American market between 2002 and 2007, the company has now gained a foothold outside Europe.